Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dentist Test

CHOOSE ACTION.
This is going to be my new mantra. I saw "Wanted" last night, (and I TOTALLY thought Angelina was hot- never been a fan of hers before, but yeesh. Now I get it.) The last line stuck with me, as I think it was intended to. "What the fuck have you done lately?"

My honest answer? Nothing I've wanted to. I realize its a bit cliche and/or cheesy to be reinvigorated by an action movie, but hey- if the shoe fits.

So I'll let you in on a little secret- my job sucks. Yeah, I know everyone's job sucks, so I guess I'm part of everyone. But I'm to the point where I'm wishing I could muster the give-a-shit to actually do something about it.

I read in the most recent issue of GQ, (one of the best written magazines on the rack,) that if your job doesn't past "the dentist test" you should look for something new. If going to the dentist seems like a vacation from your job, its not good enough. And I have to tell you, my job fails the dentist test abysmally. Going to the gyno is like Christmas come early because I have an excuse to not be here for a few hours. The gyno. Girls, you know that this illustrates how bad it is.

And so, I'm now CHOOSING ACTION.
You can lead a horse to water, and all that. Nothing is just going to fall into your lap- you have to seek it. Go out there and make something happen.
And I fully intend to do so.
I'm going to write, apply for jobs, excercise, initiate new friendships, get comfortable with going to the bar on my own, etc ad nauseum.

Who knows?
Maybe something exciting will happen.

No comments: